Time for the truth
Everyone has a septic fantasy. Whether we like to believe that adding additives or chemical will prolong the life of your septic tank or that it never needs to be pumped. But here are the facts:
1) A septic tank needs to be pumped out when the sludge matter is so much that the septic tank cannot perform as it should mechanically. In a normal working conventional septic tank there is a combination of wasterwater, watery sewage effluent, and a floating scum layer. There should always be enough room (in volume) for the wastewater and the solids to separate properly before the wastewater gets discharged into the drainfield. A septic pump-out is needed when the thickness of the floating scum layer and settled sludge layer occupy so much of the tank volume that the free liquid area is "too small" - the "net free area" has become so small that the "effluent retenetion time", the time that wastewater has in the tank to allow for solids and floating scum to separate from effluent being discharged to the drainfield is too short.
As a rule you should pump out your tank if any of the following are true
a) Total depth of the sludge plus the scum equal 1/3 of the depth of the tank.
b) Bottom of the septic tank baffle outlet has less than 3" of clearance from the bottom of the floating scum layer.
c) Bottom of the outlet baffle is less than 6" from the top of the sludge layer on the septic tank bottom.
2) Additives and chemicals will never extend the life of health of your septic tank. Your septic tank if designed to work, naturally. Additives or chemicals often do more damage than good when it comes to a septic tank. Do not waste your money on these. If you sense issues, beyond a clog, with your tank call for an inspection.
3) "Your tank will never need a pump out" said no one ever. On average a septic tank should be pumper out every 3-5 years. This varies depending on the size of the house, number of occupants, and the amount of wastewater being produced daily. Failure to maintain your septic tank properly is the number one cause of septic tank failure.
4) You cannot save or restore your septic drainfield by getting a pump out. A drainfield bed that is in failure will take years (5-10 on average) to naturally restore itself .
At Whitewater, we often say "when in doubt pump it out" but in actuality, as a homeowner you should keep records of your last pump out.
Think of a pump out as an oil change for your vehicle. Your vehicle might be running smoothly until everything just stops. Just like an oil change, a pump out, when necessary will cost you far less than repair work.
Have you notice a foul sewage smell on the outside, or even inside, orf your house? Are there areas in your yard that seem wet (on a dry day) with standing black or grey water? If you answered yes to either of these questions you definitely need to get your septic tank pumped out.
Generally speaking, for a 1500 gallon septic tank witha properly working leach field, it is recommended to have the system pupmed out every 3-5 years. This will vary based on:
· The size of your household
· Do you use a garbage disposal?
· Does your laundry water go through your system?
· Is there adequate bacteria in your system to aid in the digestion of organic solids?
· Do you want your system to last and work effectively as long as possible?
Signs of system distress include:
Toilets and sinks draining slowly
Gurgling sounds in your plumbing
Black or gray water coming from your home’s outlet tile discharging into a creek or ditch
Foul sewage odors noticed in the house or outside *BE SAFE: If odor is present you should immediately take appropriate safety measures to eliminate propane or gas leaks as the cause.
Our pump truck is available 24/7/365. Yes, this includes nights, weekends, and holidays. Our rates will vary during those times, but we understand that not all incidents happen during the Monday-Friday 9-5. If you don't know when your tank was last pumped, it will not hurt to get it pumped. However, waiting could hurt you system. Remember maintenance is key to preventing bigger problems down the road. A septic pump out costs hundreds less than a system repair. Give us a call at 850.674.1000 if you would like to schedule a pump out today!
There's no time for a new beginning like now!
In April of 2016, my husband and I lost our contracted job in the oilfields of North Dakota. Coming home was a breath of fresh air (at least, humid Florida air)! After many nights of wondering what we were going to do to support our family-we decided to invest our life savings on building a new company. A company that would keep us here in our home.
Whitewater Environmental LLC. is our family owned small business. We specialize in everything septic-from installations to repairs. There's no project too big or too small for us. We offer 24/7 septic pumps outs because we know that not all emergencies happen in the ordinary business 9-5 schedule. For those just building their home-we can help you too. We have our own dirt pit, so we can offer competitive all-inclusive pricing packages, from the ground work up. With our license we can even do the inside plumbing all the way to to septic tank.
If you are new to the site-leave me a comment! If you got a question or are in need of a service give me a call 850.674.1000